Sunday, May 4, 2008

Mythology.

Edith Hamilton's Mythology is a collection of the broad spectrum of ancient Greek, Roman and Norse mythological tales. Ranging from ancient creation stories to the Trojan war and beyond, the work is marked by varying themes depending on the tale at hand. The capriciousnesses of the god's was demonstrated throughout the collection; Zeus carelessly threw thunder bolts towards earth; Saturn ate his children. Conflict and overcoming obstacles was demonstrated in the stories of Hercules, the Trojan war, and just about all the tales regarding Hades. There was a tale regarding the lust for wealth: Midas turned everything gold. The collection of mythologies is simply full of themes.
I detest the reading of mythology, simple on the grounds that it is mythology and therefore irrelevant to anything. Sure, one can find "meaning" and moral lessons, but still, it's mythology. However, in my schizophrenic manner, I also find the work useful, since I can now use analogies to mythology.

What stories had the greatest relevance to you, as a person? (answer in vivid detail, and include a quote from an 80's television show or song lyric)

2 comments:

dude(raj) said...

80's quote..lol
dude seriously

heres a metallica quote thate corresponds to the story about sysiphus
"Landmine has taken my sight
Taken my speech
Taken my hearing
Taken my arms
Taken my legs
Taken my soul
Left me with life in hell"
sysiphus
was cursed to pusha a border up and down a hill becauseee he didnt offer a sacrifice..

the most moving tale in Mythology
is the story of oedipus
because it illustrates the
dominance of fate.
because like the gods said oedipus ended up killing his father

dude(raj) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.