Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Road Not Taken

Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken" is an affirmation of the value of personal choice, and the reflection upon one's choice regarding one's life. Using the metaphor of two roads diverging, Frost expands the notion of choice upon the greater concept of life. In this representation, there are two roads: one being the more comfortable and attractive one, and the other the more rugged though possibly more beneficial path to take. The absolutism of making a choice of direction, that there is no turning back, pervades the poem. I liked it. Not verbose, not excessively emotional. Simple.

Question: Which road do you prefer?

2 comments:

Lorie said...

I would choose the road not taken as often as others, for I feel that I'd be a follower and just lead a life that I didn't make a choice on 100%. That way if I take the road less traveled I get to make the decisions on what I want and suffer the consequences or be extrememly happy with my choice because I know that, that was my choice. Plus this way I end up finding myself in a way, and have things that I like and have friends that like me for me in almost every aspect that way I can always protray myself and not some other person who they thought I was.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.